AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Teach me about strip tillage please.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 8/28/2007 01:00 (#194283 - in reply to #194169)
Subject: RE: Teach me about strip tillage please - grass seed in Oregon

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Pokey,

I am a big fan of strip till in many midwest row crops. Strip tilling ahead of the planter is usually done to dry or warm the soil in the spring to create a fit place to plant.

From my understanding of your question, neither of these is important in your situation - you just want to plant grass seed in 15" rows into wheat stubble. I really think this is a place for no till more than strip till.  However in that wheat or dead clover stubble you really want to clear the row of residue for better seed to soil contact and more uniform emergence and stand.

Knowing you are "handy" to put it mildly, and briefly here is an idea for you:

I know we can outfit a regular JD, Kinze, White planter row unit with a narrow row spacing row cleaner that will work in 15" no till and not plug nor cover the adjacent row. However the standard row crop planter row unit metering system is not capable of handling grass seed like a drill seed cup, nor is seed singulation all that important.

I think if you could get a number of JD (preferably 1993 7200 or later) Kinze (1993 or later) or White (6100 or later) planter row units, (with HD downpressure springs) mount them on a double frame 7 x 7 bar so the units are fully staggered (not all in a row but maybe 36-48" fore and aft between the frame tubes) and somehow mount a small hopper and seed cup system (like a drill) on each row that might just work for your application.

I would then mount a narrow row row cleaner consisting of our Dawn 1138F Narrow Angle stem assy and appropriate screw adjust mount on each row unit, check the double discs are set so you can't pass two business cards toward each other for about 1.5" at the soil entry point and especially important in this shallow planted (1/2" is about cotton depth) crop into wheat stubble is use two of our Curvetine closing wheels for slot closure and seed to soil contact. The Curvetines could be the key to getting a good stand in this system.

You could maybe start with say three rows to check the conceppt but I am pretty sure this would do what you want in your Oregon conditions. I would call this no-till rather than strip till. Although some folks refer to row cleaning on the planter as strip till,I think of strip tillage as a separate operation ahead of the planting operation. You could add fertilizer coulters betwen the rows on this sort of double frame setup like we do on Kinze TwinLine planters. But the key is being able to rig up an individual row unit hopper and  metering system for grass seed that would drop grass seed into a row crop planter's seed tube.

Just an idea for you. I don't think there is a need to make two passes, one to strip and one to plant in your particular situation and location as described. jmho.

Regards,

Jim at Dawn

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)