AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Teach me about strip tillage please.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

tnfarms
Posted 8/27/2007 23:30 (#194230 - in reply to #194169)
Subject: RE: Teach me about strip tillage please.

SWMO
Don
What are you looking for by going to strip tillage? Nutrient placement? Drying out soil? Deep tillage in row? Better seedbed?

I can tell you some of the reasons (mainly corn) we are trying/doing strip till in our area.
They include warming up soil, drying out ground, nutrient placement, reduced nutrient requirements, increase COC yields vs strait no-till. Other posters can give you even more reasons.

A strip till machine is increased costs both in machine costs and fuel cost if running shanks (over no-till). In your situation, I would put together a toolbar and add various components to accomplish what you want to do.

Because drying out soil is not a concern to you, and you are not/dont need to be set up on a autosteer guidance system, you could "invent a planter/strip till machine to plant directly behind on the same pass. Fitting this all together in a sub 20 inch configuation would be tuff.

I want to go with strait row cleaners on my grass seed planting, but have not come up with a way to run them ahead of my 1590 JD @ 15 inch rows.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)