AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fixing old house, worth doing?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 4/10/2024 20:06 (#10702093 - in reply to #10700316)
Subject: RE: Fixing old house, worth doing?

West Union, Illinois

Angus8335 -  house ... 100 yrs old. Has a good foundation, good roof. slate siding that looks ok. The inside has not had much maintenance done to it in the last 40 years.
Whoa, back up.  "slate siding"?  I thought Gramps' house had slate siding.  Turns out it was asbestos.  As was the putty on the original windows. Read this about landlord's and asbestos.

And if it's that old there's a good chance the paint has lead in it.  Read this guide first. Both Federal and Illinois law require landlords to give tenants a general information pamphlet about the risks of lead exposure. Landlords must disclose the presence of lead-based paint before renting or renovating property, and may be held liable for tenant health problems resulting from lead. Exposure to lead can result in serious health problems, especially in children and pregnant women.  If lead- based paint is known to exist, any work that disturbs the paint must be conducted by an Illinois licensed lead professional who has completed proper training.

Not much maintenance for 40 years?  Then look closely at the water system.  And just expect to replace the septic system.  And wiring in a 100 year old house that hasn't been maintained for 40 years?  And what about the water heater and furnace?  $18,000 is not a complete estimate, it's a dream.  I'm a big fan of old houses.  But if you want to fix one up to rent it's a big difference from fixing one to live in

Sorry about the formatting.  I copied a couple sentences and it really messed things up

Edited by Mike SE IL 4/10/2024 20:09
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)