AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Teach me about strip tillage please.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Dan_wcIN
Posted 8/28/2007 19:48 (#194682 - in reply to #194283)
Subject: i'll just add a few comments to what Jim said, "Edited"

It made a Crop
I didn't realize I post this before. I was typing it on a Blackberry between Trucks while cleaning out Bins. It should read better now.

Jim know's strip-til that's for sure.

How clean/clear of seed bed does grass need. Around here we mulch grass seed planted in Waterways and Yards. But your producing a crop of it.

If you didn't need a clear seed bed a cIH 900 row unit is one heck of a no-til unit stock no attachments needed.

If you clear a strip with a row cleaner attached to the planter unit you will also be making a seed bed for weeds to germinate in as well. So you to keep that in mind

That's where your idea of making a strip ahead of time is a good one. That would allow time for weeds to emerge Then you could zap them with one of spray rigs, just ahead of planter. If time would allow it. I'd make the strip ahead of time so I could get a shower on it before planting.

How deep do you want the strip to be? Dad ran a Bush Hog Ro-til unit for 15-16 seasons. That thing could run 14 + inches deep. It had a packer wheels above the sub-soil shank (called anti-heave wheels) then two 13 wave coulter behind the shank to work the soil down. Then a rolling basket brought up the rear. I'll try to post a picture of it
Where it is in the shed it'd be hard to take one. But if you just need to work the ground to incorporate fertilizer 6" or so. The Dawn unit is easy on H.P. And fuel.

With your skill's what ever you came up you modify if to fit you needs.

The idea's I have to build a strip-til unit for corn is another story

Edited by Dan_wcIN 8/28/2007 21:38
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)