AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Draper Head repair and maintenance cost
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Rosco
Posted 10/31/2006 00:22 (#56635 - in reply to #56533)
Subject: RE: Draper Head repair and maintenance cost

Galahad, Alberta
VI, on my older 960a adapter(1998), there is a orbit motor driven auger that drags fluffly material like peas and barley onto the middle canvas and pushes it inot the feeder chain. For these crops as well as bearded wheat, we have found that running the feeder chain on high speed(slide sprocket on lower rhs of feeder house to the bigger one and add in a couple of links to the reverser chain-or speed it up if you have the variable speed option) helps with the feeding process. For picking up swaths or tall non-bearded wheat we slow it back down. The newer macdon adapters have gone to more of a finger type auger system for more positive feeding. www.macdon.com/products/draperheaders/873.html I had an old 25'(1990) before this 36'(2004--yes i have an 04 header on a 98 adapter) and I feel that the big one feeds peas in better simply because there is more material=more weight=better feeding=less grey hair! I don't know about the new ones but on my older adapter, the ends of the small auger protrude out over the side delivery canvases somewhat, and when you have tall peas coming in, they hang up on the flat ends of the auger. There is an outfit in North Battleford, Sask. that makes metal deflector cones to go over the ends and they really help with the feeding of fluffly material. I'll attach a picture that sort of shows them. Look just to the right of goofy brother in law in pic.
As for the guage wheels in mud, I have had them push occasionally rather than roll over material. Judging from of the posts and pics that soybean growers in the states have posted showing the mud you go in, I think the wheels would push mud more than roll over. Remember, they are only a 12" solid wheel. In my area, if the ground is wet enough to rut up like that, then the crops are too tough to harvest. Last year we had 4" of rain in the first week of august. one month later with no rain in between, we were still making ruts in parts of fields and it was a risk just to turn a truck around empty and get back out onto the road. I do use the macdon guage/transport wheels down in the lowest position. When I have the header right down cutting short peas, I like to think of the header as being a very wide 4 wheel cart and the combine just pushing it along. You don't need the big macdon wheels, but they help. The 25' I used to have and the 25' my brother still has don't have them and the headers work great. Getting the springs set for the right amount of float is very important. About 50-75lbs. out at the dividers
Rosco

(derrick 05 #1-1.jpg)

(25foot in ditch-1.jpg)

(barley05-1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments derrick 05 #1-1.jpg (64KB - 559 downloads)
Attachments 25foot in ditch-1.jpg (40KB - 537 downloads)
Attachments barley05-1.jpg (42KB - 499 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)