AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What a salesman can say to put a customer off PICs
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

ronm
Posted 11/5/2006 09:25 (#58234 - in reply to #58177)
Subject: Re: What a salesman can say to put a customer off PICs

Fruita CO
It's nothing new-when I hired on in '72, the JD dealer had a salesman about 60 yrs. old, 300 lb., & he had a set route he drove every day, to drink pop & coffee w/his cronies...every time he traded for a piece of machinery, he had a buyer already lined up. The downside to this was that he wouldn't even talk to anybody that wasn't on his "list". I watched him turn on his heel & ignore a young farmer who wanted to look at a nice 4020 one day, then get in his pickup & leave. For some reason, the young guy didn't twist off & go to IH or Ford, but came back later that day & the other salesman, who wouldn't pass up a deal of any kind, sold him the tractor. Ol' Furman was pissed when he came back & the 4020 was sold, he had a customer for it...the boss said hey the first man w/the money gets it...I liked the ol' guy in a lot of ways, but he was a PIA in his sales philosophy.
Now, there's one dealer, 3 stores in this part of the state, & the "Take it or leave it" philosophy is alive & well, as regards co. policy...as some others have said here, JD is not the co. it was back in the day...
Ron in CO...
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)