AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wheat straw bales
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

moon1234
Posted 5/26/2023 14:49 (#10244621 - in reply to #10244034)
Subject: RE: Wheat straw bales

De Forest, WI
ekeller2 - 5/26/2023 06:39

If your double cropping beans then they will yield better removing the excess straw. Everyone gets hung up over the fertilizers but forgets the increased yield will more than pay for some fertilizer.

If there is a market for the straw and he can bale it himself, then the above analysis should give him a floor of what he should minimum for the bales. Doesn’t matter if the next crop benefits or not. If there is zero market for it (that would be surprising) then what you say makes sense. Otherwise, there is no reason to give it away. He can discount a little for what it would cost him to rake, bale, remove and market the straw since the neighbor is doing that for him.

Could also figure it out on a per ton basis and then swap services for the straw. Is the neighbor good at custom harvesting, planting, spraying? Sometimes you come out ahead of you can trade services value for the physical item. If it were me I would want the cost of my inputs back as a bare minimum. There is ALWAYS some one who will come for that low of a price. Have never seen it turned down. For 50 acres of clean straw at just input removal costs I bet someone would come from 100 miles away or more.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)