AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

does this qualify for the keto diet?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 9/6/2023 11:12 (#10390731 - in reply to #10390372)
Subject: RE: does this qualify for the keto diet?

Pittsburg, Kansas

It is mostly about the blood sugar with me. I used to take 4 insulin shots plus a few medications a day to control my blood sugar. Now I just completely control it with diet. As long as I keep the carbohydrate count low my blood sugar stays within acceptable range. If I have too many carbohydrates my blood sugar will rise beyond where I am comfortable with. If I do it too often I will be right back in the same diabetic metabolically poor shape I was in before, a path I do not want to go down.

So for me bread (stone ground, organic, sourdough or whatever) as well as other starchy items like root vegetables are a no, no. It is not that I can't eat them, it is just that it will not be healthy for me as my blood sugar will go to levels that cause damage to many organs in the body. So I just don't do it.

I do eat some home made ice cream, but it has almost no added sugar (sometimes wife adds a tiny amount of honey and the 85% dark chocolate has some sugar in it) and is made mostly of heavy cream. Most people would turn up their nose at it, as it is not sweet.

Once a person gets off the sweet/carbohydrate addiction, foods no longer have to taste sweet to be satisfying. The cravings have stopped for me several years ago. My brain does ok without the dopamine hit from bread. I don't miss it at all.

Edited by John Burns 9/6/2023 11:16
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)