AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Calf Pro For Crypto
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

ccjersey
Posted 2/21/2024 19:01 (#10633968 - in reply to #10631193)
Subject: RE: Calf Pro For Crypto

Faunsdale, AL
Used a lot of Deccox-M in the milk from day 1 to about a month and had Bovatec in the calf starter so depended on that for coccidiosis in the older calves. There was a period of time where calves were getting enough of both to have two modes of coccidia control going.

Do everything with your calves youngest to oldest and clean up as well as possible between runs through them. Clean pens and have clean ground between calves reusing same pen. All these are good things to do but are not specific to cryptosporidia.

The thing we did that cut our death loss most of all was to feed pasteurized waste milk. I think just the better nutrition vs milk replacer was a game changer. If your calf has more caloric reserves it will fare better with cryptosporidiosis. If you can use extra feedings of an electrolyte it will help some and I always had IV fluids ready if one crashed. A liter of normal saline or even 5% dextrose and put him in a warm environment in winter time will usually bounce one right back.

I had an old warm/heated calf house with some CLAY stalls in it that I could use for the ones that crashed. It was too small and too much of a place for viral transmission from calf to calf to willingly put healthy calves in it, but it did wonders for the sick ones. Proves to me that a big part of the death loss is hypothermia, so more calorie intake and less heat loss to the environment both make a big difference even here in Alabama.

Edited by ccjersey 2/21/2024 19:19
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)