AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Steer Command Z2 with older Trimble valve?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 2/24/2024 10:16 (#10637911 - in reply to #10637131)
Subject: RE: Steer Command Z2 with older Trimble valve?

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I had a legacy Steer Command in my 8310R planting tractor. I decided to trade-up to a Steer Command Z2. My setup ties into the Deere CAN system. All that was necessary in my swap was to remove the Steer Command controller and replace it with the Steer Command Z2 controller. The previous cables were reused since they use the same style and wiring pattern. I would think you would be in that same situation and not need to change your cables unless there is something different when using an external steering valve.

I had a local tech come out to make the swap and it took about 15 minutes. He just unplugged the cables, removed the Steer Command controller, attached those cables to the Steer Command Z2 controller and mounted it. I did the calibration myself when ground conditions improved. The calibration was very easy since a Wizard is involved which guides you step by step.

I would think you could do the same unless something is different when using an external valve.

Even if you can not reuse your previous cables, I think you could just change the connectors to the valves or use an adapter to get them to mate. That is what was done when I switched from an Insight with a Nav II and external valve on an 8120 with ILS. Due to a trade-up program I was able to trade in an Insight, Nav II, 332 GPS toward an InCommand 1200, legacy SteerCommand, GPS 6500 and wiring. The external valve was used again by changing the connectors.

I also used that program to trade in a Trimble CFX-750, Nav II, wiring etc. towards an InCommand 1200, legacy Steer Command, GPS 6500 and wiring from an older Deere 8310. Again the external steering valve was reused with only a change in connectors.

In other words, I think you should be fine by just cutting and splicing although using an adapter might be desirable. That is if you can't reuse the cables from the legacy Steer Command for the Steer Command Z2.

I got in the habit of using adapters rather than cutting and splicing. For one thing if you mess up you can always remove the adapters and no one needs to know. You can also revert back to the previous arrangement if desired. The drawback to making adapters is that the connectors are not always available in small quantities.

Edited by tedbear 2/25/2024 04:38
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)