AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Soybeans- How much deer pressure is too much?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

ClusterFarm
Posted 2/28/2024 05:49 (#10642965)
Subject: Soybeans- How much deer pressure is too much?

CNY
I put a bid in on a farm to rent. It’s about 15 miles from me, but I used to live near it and am familiar with it. Pretty good soil, lays nice. Most of it borders an approximately 500 acre nature preserve that borders an urban area. No hunting in the nature preserve. We have deer around my home place, but nothing like this place. I have regularly driven by when this farm was in beans in the summer and counted 35-40 deer in a 50 acre field. Right now my most profitable rotation at home is corn & beans alternating years. How bad will it be if I try beans on this farm? I know it’s hard to guess just looking for thoughts from people with similar experiences. I can’t get any information from the previous operator. That being said, when he had beans there before there would be something there to combine, looked decent “from the road”. I could try a different rotation there, but don’t really want to. Just looking for others experiences, and if you dropped beans what do you grow on your high deer pressure farms? No market here that I know of for milo. Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)