AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Incommand 1200, Liquid Module and DC motor driver
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 3/8/2024 07:03 (#10656676 - in reply to #10655788)
Subject: RE: Incommand 1200, Liquid Module and DC motor driver

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Long story short - check the setting in the configuration for control. I believe the configuration defaults to having the PWM output continue when application ceases. Change that setting so the PWM output will cease when application ceases.

You are correct on all your comments about the need for jumping the implement switch, non-zero rate, Auto Swath inactive etc. You will need to setup the configuration for the Application rate module but I don't think that is heart of your problem.

I believe your problem deals with the setup of the Liquid Product Control Module which is set for PWM. This approach involves sending very short "shots" of electricity to a a PWM hydraulic control valve or directly/indirectly to a DC electric motor. Here's a bit of review which I'm sure you are aware of. If nothing else, it forces me to review the process.

With a hydraulic drive system, this rapidly changing ON/OFF 12V pulses are sent to a hydraulic plunger valve. The valve is opened to the "average" of these electrical pulses. Since these ON/OFF alterations occur very rapidly, the plunger cannot go from closed to fully open and it tends to hover at a certain setting. If the application rate is a bit lower than the target rate desired, the system increases the ratio of the ON to total time in each little slice of time. This is called the Duty Cycle and the valve opens a bit wider.

This same approach can be used to control the speed of a DC electric motor as well. Here the Duty cycle affects the speed of the motor. Since the motor cannot start/stop instantly, it tends to run at the average voltage. This can range from stopped (0% duty cycle) to full speed (100% duty cycle). In normal operation the duty cycle is somewhere between.

The problem that comes about in trying to use this to run a DC motor is the amount of current needed. The Ag Leader module by itself is capable of running a small DC motor if it's draw is less than 1 amp. Since your application motor requires more than 1 amp, a Motor Driver is needed.

A Motor Driver is a separate electronic device available from various sources. It has a pair of inputs, a pair of outputs and a pair of wires that connect directly to the vehicle battery. The inputs are connected to the LPCM and the outputs are connected to the motor itself. The Motor Driver uses the battery power to produce a high current PWM output that mimics the input. Thus the LPCM can indirectly control a larger DC motor.

Why doesn't your motor stop. A lot of things have to be right for it to run which are obviously happening. I believe your problem is that a setting in the setup page for control is not correct for your situation.

I will be in the opposite situation with my newly acquired used Hagie STS-12 sprayer. It is new enough that PWM hydraulic control of the pump speed is used. In my case I will want the setting set so that the pump continues to run when application stops. I will want it this way so that I will continue to have agitation when not applying. I would also want the pump to be pumping so that when application resumes, the pump is already pumping and able to deliver product immediately.

One consequence of my setup would be the need for stopping the pump at times. This would be necessary should the tank run dry etc. In my sprayer this is handled very simply by having an ON/OFF switch in the PWM wiring going to the hydraulic valve. In normal operation this switch will be ON allowing the Ag Leader to control the PWM valve which ultimately controls the speed of the spray pump. When necessary I will be able to shut off this "Pump Switch" and then the PWM signal will not reach the valve and it will remain closed. The pump will then stop preventing damage from running dry.

Such a switch would not be necessary in your situation since with the proper setting the system should stop the output as you desire.

Your question may indirectly help me as we have not used the newer Hagie yet, Thinking through this reminds me that I will want to check that setting for mine to insure that my pump does NOT stop. I'm thinking that the default setting is likely to stay ON which will be appropriate for me.

Edited by tedbear 3/9/2024 07:01
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)