AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How Do You Value a Pair ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

WCWI
Posted 3/13/2024 07:04 (#10663266 - in reply to #10662420)
Subject: RE: How Do You Value a Pair ?

SamT - 3/12/2024 10:47

Is that because people sell their junk first? Or what’s the reasoning on 30% left in 3 years?

I’ve always been scared of that because it’s common knowledge no one sells their best cows at the sale barn.

I bought my brothers heifers a couple years ago. I paid sale barn price for them, but I only have 30% of them today! I won’t be in the black on that deal until the sell calves born in the last few months. But I can keep my own heifers and have almost zero problems.

I think there is a number of factors, they come into a new herd in a minority usually and it adds stress for about a year or so, different management style and environment many times. No good operator is going to keep his poorer animals and sell the best, not that they may are not OK, just no his best. A guy who I bought quite a few cows from and now manages a sale barn told me about the stress and said if you watch you sill see it, thinner for the first year, but the ones who stay eventually blend in over time, more you buy from one place the better at a time so they have "friends" (IMO)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)