AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Storing corn into summer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

WTW
Posted 3/19/2024 22:44 (#10672140 - in reply to #10671817)
Subject: RE: Storing corn into summer

Winkler, Manitoba Canada
Cross Country - 3/19/2024 17:27

I freeze my corn when we get a nice clear -20 night.

I’ve never seen anyone cover their fans. And I keep corm right into August and September. It’s always nice and cold in there.

There isn’t a wind strong enough to blow enough air into your little fan to warm up an entire bin of frozen corn. Fine if it helps you sleep at night, but completely unnecessary

I would agree that the whole bin will not warm up. However, enough warm moist air will sometimes circulate into the bin plenum under the floor causing moisture problems with the cold corn on the floor, making for a disgusting green moldy layer about an inch thick which has to be scraped off the floor. Not really surprising, considering when loading trucks with cold corn the auger tube is often wet from humidity. After we started covering the fans in late winter/early spring we have not had that problem.

Alternatively, prior to covering the fan, but after deciding that doing nothing was not a good idea, we would run the fan in spring on dryer days to warm up the whole bin somewhat. This also worked reasonably well. Just don't see much point in paying to warm up the corn when I want it to stay cold.

Edited by WTW 3/19/2024 22:53
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)