AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fertilizer needs for Oats
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

tkoppel
Posted 3/19/2024 10:47 (#10671362 - in reply to #10671202)
Subject: RE: Fertilizer needs for Oats

Sanilac Co. Michigan
JahendILIN - 3/19/2024 08:36

There is not many oats grown in my area and just wondered what others were doing for fertilizer programs.

This is on low potassium (50-75 ppm avg) soils with low CECs(7-10) and low OM (1-1.5%). Some on hills that will drain decent and other on poorly drained flat ground.

none planted yet as ground has not been fit.

What N, P, K, and S rates are used?
what sort of herbicides are you using?

TIA

I wouldn't sweat the Potash too much, but what's your phosphorus levels like? That's critical.

Otherwise, pretty much treat it like a well managed wheat crop. Personally, I depend on @110# of 10-34-0 in furrow and a bulk spread of @200# of 6-26-30. How much of the dry P & K is actually available to that crop, I don't know, but certainly some, plus replacement. For sure, oats eats phosphorus, so don't let it go deficient.

Nitrogen kinda depends on your goals. Probably someplace in the 100# actual, over and above what's in your starters. I like 40-50# up front, along with 10-20# of S, if you can manage it. Liquid, dry, whatever is most convenient. If you can't get it on before drilling, don't worry. The balance goes on @ Feekes 5-6. That helps significantly in reducing the probability of lodging, versus all up front and gives you the opportunity to change your final rate based on conditions.

Should also add, I like some Zn in my in furrow fertilizer and a foliar Boron in crop. I've used a Coron product kinda late in the season and have seen a yield and test weight bump...I think!

Herbicide is pretty straight forward. I don't particularly like 24d as I think it's liable to ding yield, but it is cheap. Affinity/Broadspec, Widematch and a few others, depending on your weed spectrum. If you've got grasses, you're out of luck unless you kill them before the oats emerge. That rules out PerfectMatch and Husky.

That's about it, unless you want the deluxe version and include a PGR and fungicide treatment.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)