AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Seed pre pay
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Sheep Farmer
Posted 3/24/2024 06:42 (#10677480 - in reply to #10676571)
Subject: RE: Seed pre pay

Northwest Iowa
So I sell seed and will give you my 2 cents. August/sep prepay is ludicrous. Company I’m with has a big deadline sep 30. I push it back to November or what I tell guys “after you get your crop out”. I eat the cost from sep to Nov but I just feel like that’s the right thing to do. When I first got into the business I would do things in sep and than we would redo things after guys harvested, seemed stupid to me so we just do it once now. Most guys respect the November timeframe and even at that, at least with me and my business, I tell guys the money takes care of itself just let me know what we need for product for next year.

I get delivery of a ton of seed in mid December and most farmers don’t understand how by them getting their order in by decemeber 1 how it helps THEM by getting what they want. Stuff does get tight and what do they say possession is 9 tenths of the law? If I can get it into my shed we have had so much more success not having to substitute stuff or getting frustrated on getting something. Maybe I’m feeding into companies hand but I hear it from dealers that don’t take seed early, they might not get what they want or a minimum the size is very undesirable. November is a great time to book seed. By end of January their are some people starting to sort and all such. so 60-90 days from customer knowing what he wants, getting that into the company, getting it delivered, and than getting it to farmers shed really isn’t that much time. I get not everybody takes seed that early but in grand scheme of things a person needs to be prepared for it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)