AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Original Steer Command
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 3/26/2024 12:55 (#10681248 - in reply to #10681181)
Subject: RE: Original Steer Command

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I have original Steer Command auto steer on an older Deere 8310 and 8120. Both tractors had Trimble Nav II's in the past. Due to a trade up program I went from an Insight with a Trimble Nav II and a CFX-750 with a Nav II to InCommand 1200s, original Steer Commands and GPS 6500's on WAAS. It was possible to use the external steering valves that had been installed with the Trimble systems. This worked out well since none of the plumbing, hoses etc. needed to be changed. I believe the only change was with the electrical connectors on the valves. That was very minor.

They work fine within the limitations imposed by WAAS.

I do have a Steer Command Z2 in a newer tractor (Deere 8310R with CAN steering) which works very well. I have Steady Steer in my combine which works very well also. The 8310R with Steer Command Z2 does use a GPS 7500 with TerraStar Pro C unlock. There is a one time charge for the unlock and also a subscription fee. My GPS 6500's on the older tractors are unlocked for Terra Star "C" (not Pro) but I have not subscribed. Since I only need the higher accuracy for different rigs throughout the year, I move the GPS 7500 with TerraStar Pro C between the planting tractor, the Hagie sprayer and the combine. The 6500's can get moved around as necessary.

My yearly subscription fee for Terra Star (Pro C) was $900 this year. I believe the subscription of Terra Star (C) for a 6500 is somewhat less. They used to have partial year programs but I believe that has changed. I have considered RTK but don't want the hassle of a tower of my own or some other service. The yearly subscription does count up but it has worked extremely well for our purposes so I will probably continue with the service.

You ask will you be happy with original Steer Command? I think so. Since it is not an Ag Leader produced product will it be supported down the road? I don't know. I haven't seen updates for it but maybe none are needed. I don't plan on changing the original Steer Commands I have in the two older tractors.

I am really impressed with the Steer Command Z2 and Steady Steer. I was able to calibrate them both myself by following the Wizard on the display. Basically you find an open area to drive around in and follow the suggestions on the screen. You don't need a tremendously large area, but wide open spaces are desirable since you will be asked to make turns etc.

Edited by tedbear 3/26/2024 13:18
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)