AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

TRIMBLE FM1000 FREE FORM HELP....PICS
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Fingers77
Posted 4/11/2024 21:01 (#10703569 - in reply to #10702054)
Subject: RE: TRIMBLE FM1000 FREE FORM HELP....PICS

I have read your thread several times and have hesitated to reply because I do not use Freeform. I tried it a few times and hated it, I apparently am not smart enough to make it work.

I never really understood why someone would want to use it vs a straight AB or Curve line.

I also noted it is a memory hog.

What I DO use are the Headland pattern, straight AB's and also Curved lines.

With both the Headland feature and the Curve function, you can have both perfectly straight AND curved sections of a single line.

It's all how you map the line to begin with.

Most times when I map a curved line I actually make short sections of straight lines along the curve (10-20' lengths) and let the A/P and FMX smooth them into curves. This works VERY well since it's about impossible to drive ANY line without wiggling back and forth. This way the lines get smoothed out and they follow each other left and right more smoothly.

I map with a SxS with no A/P, but do all field work with an Autopilot.

Most times IF the geometry of the curves, mapping, the implement offets, and implement type (drawn vs 3 point) are good enough AND the curves are not too terribly tight, the Curve feature or Headland pattern will follow multiple curves reasonably well. Implement width also affects it, we run a 60' planter so curves need to have a radius of a few hundred feet to map smoothly pass to pass.

I probably could make it a little better for myself if I tried, but 90" of my passes that are curved are within 6" of where they are supposed to be pass to pass.

When curves get tight, all of the entered dimensions play a more important role, since the monitor it truly guessing where the implement really is. Their software isn't perfect.

I use the Curve feature for all of the waterways I plant parallel to. I have a preset line for each side, load it, let my A/P follow it for a pass or two, then load the line for the other side of the waterway. Same deal.

I have detailed directions made up, ready for email if you think you want to play with those features. I've given them out several times to other NAT members.

**** P.S. Also for more accurate pass to pass line following a better correction source than WAAS is needed because drift can become an issue. ESPECIALLY if you want to go back along a pass you already made a second time later on.

Email in profile.

Good luck.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)