AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anyone selling 2025 crop?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

brad c
Posted 4/15/2024 07:07 (#10707254 - in reply to #10706103)
Subject: RE: Anyone selling 2025 crop?

Carbondale, KS

Is anyone selling 2025 corn?  Yes

If so why and how? 

Questions I would ask before selling any of the 2025 include

Do you need to presell because you dont have on farm storage to hold?  Irrelevant

What is your breakeven?  Doesn't matter

What costs do you have locked in?  other than some land cost none as you never sell grain and buy inputs at the same time.

What method are you going to use to sell or protect the 2025 sale? Futures, Options? HTA? Cash sale?    HTA
Have you considered basis?

Do you have a back up plan if you sell too soon? What if you use futures and sell too soon? Do you need a back up plan? What about if the market rallies and you use futures and have big margin calls?  There is no selling too soon - grain is to be raised to be sold.  

What % are you going to sell? What increments? Is this inline with your typical grain marketing strategy?  Little more aggressive than normal

My thoughts are that one should wait for a bounce in 2024 and if one believes we will stay in a bear market, simply over sell the 2024 or better yet over protect it.  Great a bounce, but from where?????  your bounce may be way lower than today.

I know this is a little aggressive and this is by no means a recommendation. More so just looking for conversation.  Could care less - may grain my rules. 

Edited by brad c 4/15/2024 07:09
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)