AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Selling equipment through AgTalk classifieds
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

ihmanky
Posted 4/18/2024 08:01 (#10711127 - in reply to #10710603)
Subject: RE: Selling equipment through AgTalk classifieds

KY

Almost every item I've sold in the last decade or more has gone through Ag Talk. I cannot for the life of me see how people are saying Ag Talk is more BS than FB Marketplace. I can post something on FB and have 10 messages in the first couple hours with the automatic "Is this available" response, even after spelling out that I won't respond to that in the ad. Have had more no-shows and wasted time from FB than even in the Craigslist days. Have never had a no-show from an Ag Talk contact with the things I've listed. (Roughly a dozen maybe?) Other problem I get, and this is a "where you're from" and "how small is your area" type thing I'm sure, but almost every time I've sold anything local, I get questions long after the transaction because you either know the people or they feel like they know you. (Small town syndrome). I sold a diesel pickup several years ago, I bought it in Indiana and dummy me didn't do the research, it had come from Louisiana after Katrina. (Had I studied the seat frames I would have figured that out.) If you got a tire in a shallow hole, it wouldn't pull itself out of it without locking it in 4 low, didn't have enough power to spin the tires on gravel. I spent probably 8 grand on that thing in the year I had it (7.3 powerstroke), and finally had enough after I had it pretty well right. I listed it at a decent deal, disclosed everything, and sure enough a guy I had went to school with 15 years back calls me and says "I've been looking for that exact truck!" I told him to look elsewhere, that I wasn't selling it to anyone I knew. He wouldn't give up, even offered to pay me a grand over what I had asked. I had a long talk with him and told him, at some point, something else is going to rear its head with this truck, and I am done with it. Don't ask me about it, don't even mention it to me when it happens. He was eager to agree. I sold him the truck (didn't take the extra grand), and he went on his way. about 8 months later I get a text message that says "My mechanic says this thing needs new glow plugs, I thought you said they had been replaced recently?" I replied 1: I told you something would happen (still unsure as his mechanic was no mechanic), and 2: The glovebox has (unless you've tossed it) every bit of paperwork on everything that truck had done, including GP's AND injectors AND the harness for both, all within 12 months of you buying it. His reply the next day "My mechanic says there's no way those plugs have been replaced on that engine". I said well, tell your mechanic he's full of ^$#t and the paperwork has my name on it, as well as the actual shop that did the work, and I don't have another 7.3 sitting around that I would have swapped parts into just so I could rook you on a sale, so maybe you better find a better mechanic. Don't contact me again about this truck, I've still got all the messages where we agreed that was the deal and I practically begged you to not buy it just for this very reason." I haven't heard from him since but my blood pressure was pretty high those couple of days. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)