AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hardi sprayer guys.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

WildBuckwheat
Posted 4/23/2024 17:37 (#10716413 - in reply to #10716384)
Subject: RE: Hardi sprayer guys.

Middlesex County, Ontario
Your sprayer is designed to have a calibrated reflow system. You have some amount of flow that goes through the section out the nozzles when spraying, when you turn a section off, it's just re-directing that same amount of flow back to the tank through an adjustable restriction. Those adjustable restrictions are adjustable by twisting the green dials on the bottom of your section valves. Those adjustable reflow valves should be adjusted any time you switch nozzle colours, and from the numbers in your post, it is clear that you have not done that.

There is a pressure relief valve at ~150 psi to prevent blowing the system apart. You are hitting that. You should not be hitting that,

To calibrate the reflow valves is simple. You should be doing this each time you change nozzle colours.
- While stationary and spraying water, turn on all sections, adjust the flow control for exactly 50 psi of pressure. I suppose that you could do this with 28% instead of water, but you'll be dumping a 200 gallon at least (way less if it wasn't your first time).
- Turn off the rate control box
- Walk to the rear of the sprayer while it is spraying water. Observe the pressure gauge at the rear of the sprayer. It should read 50 psi.
- Manually turn off one section by turning the butter fly valve. Observe the pressure. The pressure should still read 50 psi. Adjust the reflow valve to bring the pressure to 50 psi. Manually turn the section back on.
- Repeat for all valves, one by one
- Double check your work by turning all valves off. The pressure should still be 50 psi

Now a problem for high rates of 28% is; the reflow valves cannot be opened enough to match the restriction of the nozzles that we use. In that case you just do the best that you can, open the reflow valves as far as they will go. This has a negative effect: the sprayer will output more than your intended rate when only some sections are on. To combat this negative effect, use speed/pressure. Manually trim down your flow control valve to hit your intended pressure for that last pass where you only have some sections on.

What I would do in your case is not want to fill with water to do a proper calibration that might not work anyway. I would open up all the reflow valves fully, confirm that do in fact need to have the wide open by observing that the pressure rises about 15 psi when you turn off all sections, and then keep rolling.

My Hardi (with stream bars) hits a similar speed/GPA/pressure as you, but it stays below 50 psi while I'm turning around. Hitting relief valve pressure is hard on the section valves and you will wear the section valve seats/seals. The sections valves are not fun to rebuild and you will learn fully how this calibrated reflow system is intended to work when those seals start leaking and you start coming up long on acres and low on rate.

Edited by WildBuckwheat 4/23/2024 17:50
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)