AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What to do
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

JKneese
Posted 7/7/2010 16:56 (#1264219 - in reply to #1263295)
Subject: Re: What to do

Yorktown, TX
I would say take the off the farm job and still stay involved with the farming (ie. expanding). I'm 24 and I started running cattle and investing in hay production when I was 18. I got an off the farm job when I graduated college. With that job I've worked in Dallas, France, Venezuela, and I'm now in Midland. My land is 6.5 hrs away, and I drive every weekend. I pay my dad to do things for me while I'm away during time dependent hay crops, but I try to strategically plan vacation time. I got a degree in Mechanical Engineering, and currently work in the oilfield. My job is a position where I manage people, and deal with the day to day field costs of wells. The job has not only helped me with monetary gain, but also a better business sense. You will not be able to grow as rapidly, but you will be able to pay for equipment and stay out of the loan officer's office. Right now, I'm operating all hay production, and it is getting to the point where it is hard to juggle everything I'm dealing with. I'm looking forward to either the next land purchase, or rent acquirement to push me over the edge to where I can stay home and live on the land. You might not want to work an off the farm job, but there are benefits there that are easily overlooked.

Edited by JKneese 7/7/2010 17:01
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)