AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

church hoppers?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 7/9/2010 23:21 (#1267142 - in reply to #1266121)
Subject: RE: church hoppers?

West Union, Illinois

Let me start by saying I have been working on this reply for an hour.  I've written and deleted and rewritten and still am not satisfied.  So here goes:

This gets a bit close to home.  A couple years or so back our church went through some difficulties.  A couple years ago our preacher was asked by the elders to resign be gone by end of March.  I won't go in to all the details but let's say the situation was not handled as well as it could have been handled.

Over night we went from a church bouncing near 200 to one struggling to hit 100 a Sunday.  Because of what happened and how it happened many seemed to expect my wife and I to leave. It was a consideration.  We chose to stay.  There are several reasons.

The first problem for us was where would we go?  My wife was raised in a Restoration Movement church.  I have spent 30 years attending one.  I chose to be there because when I read the Bible and what it says we are to do the Restoration Movement is probably as close to agreeing with what I understand the Bible to say as anyone.  She and I have some very basic doctrinal beliefs that we are not likely to bend on.  So going to a denominational church was not an option we were comfortable with (I realize this gets into an area a lot of you do not understand and I would be happy to go into more detail privately)

For us it came down to where else would we go?  We could have driven to another town to a different Christian Church, but how is that having a positive impact on our community?  What is that action saying to others in our community?   In a larger town it might not even be a consideration.  In a small town, at least for us, it was a big consideration.

I've wondered about in a circle before getting to your question so let's go there

Should we visit Faith and check this out, or stick with our committment to support this church?
my short answer is "If you are not part of the leadership, then sure, go look it over and maybe move."  That is the short answer.  I mentioned writing and deleting a lot of stuff.

For us the first question is doctrinal.  How closely do you agree with the doctrine of the new church?  For us the doctrinal issues override the social ones.

The answer in part depends on what kind of commitment you have made.  Have you made a financial commitment?  Are you part of the church leadership?  Are you or your wife teaching Sunday School? What is your role in this church?  If you leave what will it do to the church?

If you have not committed to being part of the leadership the answer gets easier.  If you are just warming a pew you can do that anyplace.

The more your leaving will negatively impact the church, the more I would ponder on it first.  'Course, your leaving might have a positive effect ... Innocent

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)