AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question on water filters & Cisterns
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Doug W
Posted 8/23/2010 20:07 (#1329028)
Subject: Question on water filters & Cisterns

Regina/ 14 miles South of Moose Jaw Saskatchewan
Hi:

We have a bit of a unique farmhouse situation... in our 60x96 machine building we have 60x24 ft finished as a 2 storey living space... This started out as an intermittent apartment for staying at the farm - but as my wife & I spend more time on the farm and less time in town we've renovated to make it more of a home...

...Anyway - question pertains to water systems - we don't have the option of a well - we have a 1,250 gal concrete cistern that we have filled with city treated water periodically. The cistern is actually inside the building, which has been handy in terms of keeping it clean & protected... While the cistern is tight, the access collar isn't - with the major rains we had this year we've had probably 2,000 gallons of ground water seep in through the collar this summer (saves on hauling, but makes me a little nervous...) The cistern's been in service for 20+ years... We don't drink the water, (have water cooler & bring out 5 gallon RO water from town) - but we use the water for cooking washing, etc.... When we started getting seepage we kept hitting the cistern with bleach periodically...

(Long winded I know...) My questions....
- Should cisterns be "cleaned" periodically? if so, how does a person do this?
- Have been thinking of putting some filtering in to eliminate concerns from the seepage for cooking, washing, & mistakes someone might make brushing teeth, etc...
- Was looking at a UV treater + whole house Carbon filter...this seems to be the same price as UV and RO filter to a couple of drinking taps - but seems to me to be a better way to go....(still probably keep the water cooler - kinda spoiled on the RO water from the cooler for drinking)

-- Curious how others deal with similar water systems (have to say, I'm a bit of a city wimp when it comes to water...my ancestors used to use water from the slough... but I'm just not that tough!)

Many thanks

Doug W.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)