AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Picked the pears
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

martin
Posted 8/30/2010 13:17 (#1338843 - in reply to #1338560)
Subject: RE: Picked the pears

My brother, sister and nephew picked all the pears off their trees about 2 weeks ago.  I was given a bunch of pears to put away.  I found a recipe for a "pear mince meat" - as in mince meat pies.  So, I canned (jarred) 17 pints.  The rest I cooked down like applesauce and put it in the freezer.  I found that I will eat pear sauce like this more quickly than I will pear halves in jars.  And I can put my freezer containers in my lunch pail to go.  So, the pear sauce thing works well for me.

P.S.  I put mine in 3-cup hefty containers, so "juiciness" was not a concern for me.  IF you think they are too juicy, why not set the stove on "simmer", take the lid off the kettle and let some of the water evaporate off?  You'll just need to stir once-in-a-while, so it does not stick and burn.  But I think you could lose some water this way.

While I am thinking about it, one thing I noticed while cooking my pears - I cubed my pears before putting them into the kettle to cook.  This helped them to cooked down quicker to the point where they were providing their own moisture.  Maybe you want to take 1/ dozen pairs, cube them, and start cooking them down to provide juice, before adding more pairs. And I am saying add very little water to get them started - maybe a cup of water to begin?  This might help with the juiciness.  Just a thought.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)