AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

gotta rant on kids and text
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

McCartman
Posted 9/16/2010 22:22 (#1362410 - in reply to #1361922)
Subject: Re: gotta rant on kids and text

Since you brought up his favorite color of farm equipment, you no doubt know that it is the same as mine. Since we're on the subject....

I took my Pa to look at a grain cart this past Sunday that a local jockey has on his lot. There happened to be a 9510 sitting there. There are a lot of Deere combines around, but I don't often take an opportunity to look one over close. We checked out the cart, and then walked over to look at the pretty green machine. We checked her over pretty well, and compared to our R62, there were only two things about it that I figure had any advantage whatsoever over the Gleaner - the hydro unit is very easy to get at (Gleaner's sit behind the load carrying axle - have to access from underneath, between the frame rails) and the stationary knives in the chopper could be changed in about 2 minutes flat. That's it. Other than those two things, that combine is a miscombobulated mess of drives that appear to be crammed in, stacked on top of one another, and tight to get at. The size you are, it looked to me like you couldn't access anything on it past your wrist. The chaffer and sieve look exceedingly difficult to access due to that rear axle sticking so far out behind the combine. Looking at the turret unloader only reinforces Bobby Grief's (and my) theory that turrets belong only on tanks and battleships - not combines. The feeder chain and slats looked very light - and at least two of the slats were bent which proved that point. Someone on here recently was posting about shoe problems and made the comment that the combine was built around the shoe. After looking that 9510 over, I see what he means. I did not climb up to check the cab out - maybe there is something about it that keeps the green guys going back for more.

But it sure was pretty - glistening in the sun like that. ;)

You can keep your Deere. I'd rather have something that I can work on if the need arises.

Why do they put that rear axle out there so far anyhow, just out of curiosity?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)