AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dekalb and Pioneer Seed Prices
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Maple Leaf
Posted 8/28/2007 18:13 (#194626 - in reply to #194621)
Subject: Re: Dekalb and Pioneer Seed Prices

I purchase corn seed on what variety performs the best on my farm as well and I usually end up buying from both Dekalb and Pioneer because each company has a few varieties that stand out at certain maturities. My father was pure Pioneer but the last few years I would not give him the list of where I planted the varieties until we started harvesting.

On another note, everyone is saying Pioneer is giving the seed away by undercutting Dekalb this year. It was two years ago in Ontario, where Dekalb was offering buy 6 bags get one free on top of their discounts just to get a larger market share. Well, I have to say it worked because more Dekalb is planted each year. But selling corn seed for 150 dollars still isn't giving it away since that works out to nearly 6000 dollars per metric ton and yes it is more work and research has to be done but this is a huge profit. Why do you think Pioneer, Dekalb and other companies are working to make a corn specifically for ethanol plants? I know it isn't for the producers benefit.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)