AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

JD is partly closing down Agri Service?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

lorenk
Posted 9/5/2007 01:40 (#198582 - in reply to #198510)
Subject: Re: JD is partly closing down Agri Service?

Grand Rapids, MI
I was talking with several different John Deere people who were from various divisions and positions, and it sounded like AgriServices really had a reputation for not making $. I wonder though if AgriServices only goal is making $. It seems there is a place for a "skunk-works" kind of area in a company as big as Deere. A group that can move quickly to try new things. Some will work and some will not, I mean some of the best home-run hitters also have a lot of strike-outs. A smaller, more autonomous group can also cut their losses faster. This sounds like what they are doing with some of their products.

As far as software, Apex is part of AMS I believe, which is part of "mainline" Deere, not Agri-Services. Agri-Services has the AGRIS software package for fert dealers and elevators, etc. I believe it is quite highly regarded, and interestingly they just worked with Ted Macy of Mapshots to make this product GIS capable, so there are many similarities between EasiSuite and the GIS parts of AGRIS. (Hmm...wonder why they didn't use the APEX code....lol) I personally think that Deere would be better off to give their Apex software group some more independance, perhaps moving them under AgriServices. I think Gary's thoughts on the large company problems are right on.

As far as accounting and GIS systems, I can understand where Steve is coming from, it is very nice to have an integrated solution. I looked at farm works a few years back and saw definate advantages to having everything in one package. Unfortunately, I found that I gave up too much power from each when they were combined. I find it makes sense "to me" to find the best accounting system, then the best GIS system. I like to keep the focus of the accounting system on Financial Accounting, which needs to balance to the penny. The GIS system provides the allocation information, which goes into a spreadsheet to allocate the financial accouning data. This allows me to allocate to various profit or cost centers. (It could drive enterprise accounting instead if desired) At this point I agree with Gary that Mapshots is the company of choice for ag producers, and probably many agribusiness retailers.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)