AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Looking to go to strip till
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

nayrgro
Posted 9/7/2007 06:48 (#199752)
Subject: Looking to go to strip till

Tekonsha Mi.
I have been using minimum till on my corn for the last 8- 10 years I was using a chisel plow with 3 inch twisted shoves but in the last 4 years I have went to straight spikes that were 2' wide by 1.7/8 thick by 24 inches long. We are running a JD mulch tiller I took the depth stops out so I could get down 12-15". In order to get rid of the hard pan. The reason I went to these spike type point was for two reasons. 1) To leave more fotter on top and 2) To pull up less stones. Depending on the farm I either run a mulch finisher with a brillion packer (to push the rocks back into the ground) Or a Krause disk with a brillion packer. I would like to leave more fotter on top to help with my OM and also to get more fotter on top.

I am in a soybean corn rotation for the most part.

I would like to got to a strip till type machine for two reasons. 1) to have a one pass system. 2) So I can plant early like I do with my min. till program because of the warmer soils and have more ground cover to delay weed emergence and increase my OM.

Because I cant get on all my ground when I should I end up with some compaction. So I was wondering If there is a strip till machine out there that will get down low enough to take out some of my hard pan?

Also if I run a strip till machine with row cleaners am I going to pull up and windrow my cobble stones in between the strips? Making it hard to harvest my no till my soybeans the following year?

The other option I have been looking at is putting a spike type shovel on the first two rows of my Mulch finisher hoping to get them deep enough to pull out the hard pan. Than putting larger sweeps on the back two row's of the finisher to leave a nice level seedbed. To plant into, any input on weather anyone thinks this will work or has anyone tried this before?

I guess that the main two things I would like is to do is, leave as much cover on the ground and still get a semi deep tillage pass in one trip across the field while leaving a level seed bed.

I try to do most if not all of my tillage in the early spring to get as little wind and water erosion as possible.

Any suggestions here would be great.

Here are some pics of the multch finisher I am sorry that some are so dark.

Thanks for any input and have a safe and bountiful harvest. Ryan Groholske

Edited by nayrgro 9/7/2007 06:55

(100_0671 (600 x 450).jpg)

(100_0670 (600 x 450).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 100_0671 (600 x 450).jpg (73KB - 146 downloads)
Attachments 100_0670 (600 x 450).jpg (59KB - 140 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)