AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question on continous corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Cowboycorn
Posted 9/8/2007 11:22 (#200396 - in reply to #200363)
Subject: RE: Question on continous corn

north central Oklahoma
Dean,

This is what my dealer advises for CC corn. Next crop should be LL or similar tech in other brands with another mode of action for killing volunteer. If one stayed no-till, likely very little will actually grow to be big enough to worry about, root system to shallow to sustain plant. What germinates in this period of rain we are having right now will die at first frost so let it go. It looks pretty wooly for a while, but everything will look different in the spring. This little strip right through here has been blessed with rains the past few weeks that 3 miles in either direction from here didn't get. Volnteer corn is sprouting very well. Just leave it for Jack frost.

I generally follow my early corn with notill wheat as April planted corn comes off in plenty of time for early fall seeding of wheat. I lost the first crop due to the April freeze, and did not get replant until late July. Sure messed up my rotation. With near $6.00 new crop bid, is there a good reason to follow corn with corn here unless it is bottom ground we are talking about here? Just curious

BTW, how did your corn turn out. I picked some for a guy right south of Deer Creek elevator that hit 142 bushel. With a 6 row all crop on a 7720, it was about 2 mph tops.

Edited by Cowboycorn 9/8/2007 11:25
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)