AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

any new conventional corn?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

JDH SE IA
Posted 9/25/2007 15:24 (#209344 - in reply to #209289)
Subject: Re: any new conventional corn?

Burlington, IA
John, occasionally hybrids that are early for us, come along that move south extremely well. Here is a real life example of what I'm talking about. I have 2 clients in NE IA who use a NT/AG number in the 96-98 day range as an early number, and may be the one you're thinking of, and get along with it very well. One gentleman is a dairy farmer near Earlville, just 2 or 3 miles north of Hwy 20, and he loves it. The other gentleman farms north of Stanwood, several miles north of Hwy 30, and this particular hybrid has been known to do 200 bu. as far south as Hwy 30. He was combining this number last weekend, and I did weigh wagon yield checks for him on this hybrid last Saturday. The conventional version was doing 180 bpa at 14%, the CB version was doing 185 bpa at 14%, which isn't bad for his ground. The thing is, he was worried about dry weather this spring, and planted it at 27700 on 30" rows, against my advice. If he would have set his planter up a notch or 2, at least to 29-30,000, he would have had 200 bu. corn out of it. But that is an example of what the right early number with the ability to move south, can do. I sure wouldn't be afraid to use the right number in that kind of situation. Do you remember the number, by any chance? You're not any farther south than either of the examples I just mentioned, just farther west. A hybrid with the ability to move south should work for you, too. If you have any more questions, just ask. Hth.

JDH
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)