AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Demand for brome hay?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Pofarmer
Posted 9/26/2007 08:20 (#209870 - in reply to #209217)
Subject: Re: Demand for brome hay?

If you want a premium market, you really need to be in big squares. You had the perfect opportunity if you didn't have a baler at all. With a 4x6, you made the next best choice. There are a number of small dairies around me that have been bringing in big rounds of Brome from your part of Kansas. However, with freigh costs ever increasing, they are wanting big squares. Big squares are also easier for most of these operations to feed and handle. We still have our round baler, right now I'm in a love/hate relationship with it. It's nice to just roll up hay when a rains on the way, but it does cut down on the marketing opportunities when you roll up hay. I just seeded down some more Brome this fall. I'm using a variety called York. I was using a variety called Peak, but availabilty on seed wasn't that good. These seem to be truly improved Brome's compared to the older stands we have. They also seem to be handling the heat and dry weather much better than Timothy. I still got 2 good cuttings off of our Brome this year, and I'm not so sure that one Timothy stand is toast. This was a hot year for hay sales. I currently have about a Semi-load left in the hoop, and that is sold. I'm going to need to be bringing some hay in for customer, and it's a whole lot easier to find truckers for big squares than big rounds.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)