AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Roundup Ready Alfalfa
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

hesston8465a
Posted 9/26/2007 21:32 (#210264)
Subject: Roundup Ready Alfalfa

Parsons Kansas
I know they have taken it off the market until further testing is received. My question is who would or wouldn't plant if it was back on the market? When it was out I priced it from a dealer and it was around $7.00/lb. I was thinking that that would be a good deal and here is why. I have alot of weed pressure early in the season. It costs me $21.00/acre to spray Pursuit to kill broadleaves in alfalfa ( I think that's the chemical. I don't spray it because it costs too much.) It also costs me about $5.00/acre to spray a generic brand of Select. So I figured my spray bill ot for a year then for the life of the stand ( I think I had figured 5yrs but I have some 7yrs old now) and the RR alfalfa would be money ahead.
I didn't buy it and plant because I have 3 different stands and didn't want to take a chance on not getting something clean enough and killing existing stand. I do my own spraying. The alfalfa I bought was some leftover from a company that I have no way of finding out who it was. I believed it was about $1.80 or $2.00/lb. I'm really happy with the seed I did buy but I still wonder about the RR alfalfa. Also I hate the thought of supporting Monsanto some more. But in the end I think it would still be a good product. You all tell me your thoughts.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)