AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Value of an old barn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Von WC Ohio
Posted 9/29/2007 08:47 (#211557 - in reply to #211400)
Subject: RE: Value of an old barn - Kind of off topic

Not this barn it wasn't.

This was a barn at a farm I bought and had no sentimental value. I already have too many other buildings that do have sentimental value and were build by great grandpa and great great grandpa. It takes a small fortune to maintain and keep them from deteriorating. When your finished you easily have the price of a new building invested but still are limited by the confines and designs of the old structures.

I made up my mind I would not pour that kind of money into the buildings at this farm I bought and hope someday to finally have a large shop that I can work in and have enough storage area to be able to drive things straight in. It's not always the handiest to have to work on large items outside where you have room to work around them or unfold them so most of my repair projects need to be during warm weather.

What might not be apparent in the above post was the extensive amount of work that would have been required. The old stone foundation was in bad shape, the wood floor inside was rotten inside the doors and would not support any real weight, the doors were narrow and not tall enough,the wood siding was getting in bad shape and the roof was due for replacement.

Here are a couple pictures of family barns that have been saved. They look good and have been preserved but at a high cost once you consider cement poured,foundations repaired, new doors and siding. 

(PC200063 (Medium).JPG)

(P2080049 (Medium).JPG)

(P2140009 (Medium).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments PC200063 (Medium).JPG (56KB - 385 downloads)
Attachments P2080049 (Medium).JPG (42KB - 386 downloads)
Attachments P2140009 (Medium).JPG (47KB - 391 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)