AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn Condition
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

scmn_06
Posted 10/5/2007 12:38 (#214835)
Subject: Corn Condition

Blue Earth, MN
Large parts of MN and N. IA have received a lot of rain recently (most areas soil was already saturated from large rainfall amounts in August and early September). Corn condition is deterorating RAPIDLY and a lot is starting to fall over (some fields already look like toothpicks scattered about). A 35 mph wind woould have devastating effects.

I started looking at some roots and couldn't help but notice the rapid deteroration that has taken place. I was digging roots 3 weeks ago they looked very healthy. The roots I dug yesterday (same location) looked like they normally do in the spring time. It should also be noted this was rootworm corn.

Is it possible the combination of very moist soil and abnormally warm conditions has the microbs very active and are beginning to feed on this years corn roots? In most cases, there is very little residue remaining in the soil from last years crop so I'm assuming they need to feed on something to survive. I would think in a typical Fall, the cooler temps slow the microb activity and thus the root systems remain intact until the following spring when temps and moisture levels increase encouraging microbial activity.

What other factors could have caused the rapid deteroration in root condition?

I also noticed the fields of corn that were harvested and worked under a few weeks ago have lost a significant amount of residue and have residue levels similar after winter.

If the wet and warm conditions continue, keeping the crop standing could become a very serious problem.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)