AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ok you Soil Scientists...Cowden Soil
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

BigNorsk
Posted 10/17/2007 11:22 (#221243 - in reply to #220900)
Subject: What about the drainage?

Rolla, ND
I would think the biggest challenge in those soils would be drainage. Tile lines would need to be relatively close together and fairly shallow to assure that those areas are not saturated too much.

I would think a way to investigate if the tiles are sufficient is to take pictures of fairly high resolution during a couple of summers. See if plant growth density follows the tile lines. If it does and isn't uniform through that area, then you would need more tiles. You can also see drainage problems often in the spring or summer when things get saturated and before the crops get too high. See if those areas are staying wet longer than the rest of the field between the tile lines.

A way some guys "test" is to drive farm machinery across the field when you can drive on most of the field and you really can't in the wet spots. Let's say you get a big rain. Wait until the third day and if your tiles are adequate, you should be able to freely drive across the field. If you still can't, your crop is probably being hurt.

I wouldn't think fertility would be very much of a challenge in those areas unless you are losing nitrogen again due to insufficient drainage.

So what's the spacing of your tiles. What would be a typical depth to them. Do those areas dry out in two or at most three days.

Marv
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)