AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Farm Coops
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Don
Posted 6/18/2006 18:31 (#20383 - in reply to #20007)
Subject: RE: Farm Coops

Ironically, I think the biggest difference between a private business and a coop is the private business's driving force is to put money in the pockets of shareholders. That seems to be the last consideration of most coops.

Instead of partners in progress, the farmer/member is considered a chicken to be plucked. You would think that coops and the regionals with their vast buying power, ought to be be able to compete with most any private. Farmland industries could buy vast amounts of chemicals and supplies to market through the local. Alas, they are so darn inefficient and hopelessly non competitive.

I bought Original max from the coop for $28 per gallon. When I went for the next batch, I found out a private in my home town was selling the same product for $22. I didn't even ask about price on the first batch. The Coop had my business by default. I wanted to do business with them and support my own business. Surely they know they are noncompetitive. Do they really need an additional 27% margin?

Actually, I think we built these coops as our businesses and they have grown into something else. A vast uncontrollable monster. The tail wagging the dog instead of otherwise. It's our fault as we elect people without our interest a heart. Management and directors don't even have the decency to inform the owner members before engaging in multimillion dollar deals. Evidently, they have determined that the coop is their own private enterprise and could care less about member opinion. We should vote the rascals out but alas, I'm old and weary and not up to the fight. One day the coop will go down in financial ruin and manager and board will bail out and leave us with the mess. Historically, it happens time after time with coops. That is why there are so many mergers and acquisitions. The product of incompetence.

Thanks for tolerating my rant.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)