AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hitch on semi
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

RodInNS
Posted 1/16/2008 22:59 (#284941 - in reply to #284744)
Subject: RE: Hitch on semi

I don't have any pics, but I did put a hitch on my Eagle when I set it up with a dump hinge.
I removed the rear cross member completly. I got a piece of 1-1/4" plate of the appropriate size to go the full width, and I think to a height of 2' or so. I notched the top and bottom of the frame rail out the thickness of the plate, fitted it in and welded it in place, back and front. The plate is also tapered about 8 inches towards the center on each side at the lower end. I then forward braced the plate with 1/2" thick fillets as far forward as I dared go (the air bags were the limiting factor), and I think they give about 4" of thickness at the frame. The bracing is very important as I've seen lighter plates BEND at the bottom of the frame from hard braking.
Lots of them I've seen done used lighter plates (3/4"), but I went with 1-1/4" because that's what I found.
I then cut the plate out for integrated brake/signal/tail lights and backup lights. Pintle hitch is mounted in the middle and I fabbed a standard receiver to fit below the pintle. So far it's worked out well. The truck is also plumbed for a tag/pup, not that I have one...

For what it's worth I've seen a few hitches cobbled ONTO the rear cross member. They looked so rickety that I made a NOTE of who's trucks they were... and you'll NEVER knowingly find me behind one of them. Scary is the only thing that comes to mind.
You can't overbuild this. Do it RIGHT.

Rod
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)