AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ford truck.........370 engine
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

davpal
Posted 1/19/2008 00:21 (#286794 - in reply to #285969)
Subject: Re: Ford truck.........370 engine

Mid Michigan
I have been doing head porting for about 20 years and have done a lot of the Dove heads. Lots of 289, 302, 351 windsor, 400M, 460,s, 429. Have done them all. Lots of 350 and 327 Chevy stuff too. Problem with an iron 460 head is they have a horrible exhaust port. A 350 chevy head will usually flow as much stock as a modified cast iron 460 or 429 head. The intake ports on the 460 are really nice. The exhaust ports are so poorly designed that when you get done porting them they only flow about the same as a ported cast iron 351 windsor head. The 460 head stops flowing at about .480 lift so any more lift than that is useless. You can go with some major duration but the thing won't hardly idle. Best package I used on a 460 was the Eldebrock performer 4 barrel dual plane manifold with the matching cam and lifters. Had about .480 lift and 284 duration with matching springs and lifters. Was a very powerful package, idled very well and would rev 5500 rpm. That was using an 800 Holley double pumper carb. I have done quite a few sets of 429 and 460 heads for mud bogging trucks. 500 hp is about the max for iron heads, cobra jets a touch better. If you want more than that you have to get the Eldebrock, Blue Thunder, Dove, or Motorsport aluminum heads. Or just use Nitrous on it and that is my favorite item!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)