AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ford truck.........370 engine
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

RodInNS
Posted 1/19/2008 00:33 (#286804 - in reply to #286778)
Subject: RE: 400 M

Well, as far as the 400M goes, it may have had power... but I never heard much GOOD about it. A guy I know quite well that has run a garage for 25 years had a 400M in his wrecker at one time. I forget how many rebuilds he did on the thing, but I do remember him saying that he couldn't keep bearings in it, for whatever reason. He and I both have had Ford trucks all our lives and like them quite well, but tend to agree that the stuff Ford built from the mid 70's to the 90's wasn't much but trouble.

I can't see why on earth you would think the Ford 401 was a weak diesel engine either unless the pump spec was awful low. Those were damn good reliable time proven engines, and it was no problem to take well over 200 hp from them although I think 190 was their highest rating.
I know I spent a lot of hours on school buses in my life with a variety of Chev's with 366's, Ford's with the 370-4V and the 401 along with DT-360 and DT-408 powered IH's. The 401 certainly had the power edge over that entire lot. They were probably one of the better engines available in that segment at the time.

Rod
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)