AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Campbell Hausfeld Air Compressor
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

youngtimer
Posted 2/20/2008 17:52 (#314915 - in reply to #314789)
Subject: RE: A comment on a diff. comp. but may help you anyway.

"I have a Craftsman compressor like this one, but I just upgraded to a 80 gal, 175psi, 17.5CFM, 220V Craftsman monster that can handle those air hog tools This compressor wasn't designed for those tools, but it will handle most everything else. Now for candymanbear. Your circuit breaker keeps tripping so you figure you have an electrical problem, right? WRONG! The breaker tripping is just a symptom of your problem. The problem is the head pressure relief valve on the ON/OFF relay(Sears calls it a switch, but it's really a relay with on ON/OFF switch built into it). When your compressor hits cut-out your supposed to hear a WHOOSH sound. That's the sound of the air excaping between the head and the tank check valve so the pump can get restarted when you use enough air to reach the span value. Check it out and I'll bet you don't hear that WHOOSH as the times when the breaker is tripping. The Sears manual tells you to buy a new switch which I'll bet costs at least $50.00 without labor costs. Don't go that route because the valve is adjustable. It has two little screws which are mounted in elongated slots. You just loosen these screws a tiny bit so you can rotate the valve. This will take a little trial and error. You don't know which way to turn it until you try it. If it gets worse turn it in the opposite direction until you ALWAYS hear the WHOOSH sound when the compressor shuts off at the cut-out value. Your problem is that the head pressure is not being relieved so when the compressor tries to restart after you use up some of the air it can't get going because the 150psi head pressure it still there and the motor isn't strong enough to get going against that much pressure. I'll bet your motor is moaning and groaning trying to get restarted, but after a few seconds the circuit breakers says "Heah, buddy forget you. I'm not going to work that hard." and trips out. If you have the problem I described you're just a minor adjustment away from a fix with no money spent. I learned this one the hard way and had to figure out the repair on my own by learning how compressors work. The other problem you may have is a broken reed. Most air compressors work like 2 stroke engines except they use reed valves on both the intake AND exhaust side. The reeds can break off. If your compressor is running, but doesn't make much compressed air suspect one of the reeds. With a broken reed the sound the compressor makes will change so this will also be a tip off to a broken reed."

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)