AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Couple of ?'s on alfalfa and soybeans.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

TNalfalfa
Posted 7/14/2006 23:14 (#26684)
Subject: Couple of ?'s on alfalfa and soybeans.

Middle TN
1. Asked my dealer to get a price on WL 357HQ alfalfa. His supplier said that it wasn't suited for my area (southern TN) and recommended WL 405. 405 is not in WL's literature and an internet search yielded one return. From what I can tell, 405 was a parent variety of a variety released in 1982!!!!!! If that's true, I gues he's trying to unload some old seed on me.

A. Can anyone shed any light on the 405? I want to get the scoop before I show my rear.
B. According to some yield trials I've looked at, U of KY specifically, WL 357HQ is a good variety. I've heard some of you recommend it and according to a "Hay Grower's Notebook" e-mail, it was one of three varieties that made over 10 tons/acre at Michigan SU. Anyway, We can definately grow 5 dormancy alfalfa. Do any of you know of any reason why it wouldn't do well here.

2. I was watching AgPhd a couple of weeks ago and they were talking about indeterminate beans flowering when the day length starts to shorten. I think the Hefty's said this happened only in the ?northern? belt. U of TN also says flowering is controlled by length of day vs. night/variety and not planting date. Here, I've got group III's flowering and others filling pods. Same varieties, different planting dates. So which is it?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)