AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Waterhemp officially declared RR resistant in MO
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

NEMOScott
Posted 7/24/2006 22:38 (#29577 - in reply to #29346)
Subject: RE: Where is the control problem?

I'm getting a complete kill with the burndown (usually 1.5pt-2pt glyphosate, 1pt 2,4-DLV6), and the tall waterhemp pressure in the no-till could be from a variety of things. The thing that we have noticed, is the larger seeded or seed capsule weeds like cocklebur, etc, don't do as well in no-till situations. We think that this is because the layer of residue prohibits the seed/soil/light activation needed for these weeds to be a problem. But a waterhemp or pigweed seed is small enough to seed itself on top of the ground, thus it sprouts while cocklebur has to wait for tillage to sprout it. In the conventional ground, we see the opposite. The pigweed/waterhemp gets buried, so it's not so much an issue. The cocklebur gets buried (planted), and sprouts along with the crop.
Don't misunderstand me, we still have waterhemp/pigweed pressure in the conventional ground, but its not at the level of the no-till. That being said, I'll take a few ugly sprigs of waterhemp anyday before a field of velvetleaf.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)