AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

bin run wheat
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Carl In Georgia
Posted 7/30/2006 13:19 (#31177 - in reply to #31167)
Subject: Re: bin run wheat

Ashburn, GA, (very close to Heaven!)
Being a former seedsman, I reiterate the PVP. Saving from certified for your own personal use is permissible.

Agronomically, there are other things to consider.

> Germination. Send a sample to reputable seed lab. Have it tested for germination AND purity. Know what you are working with.
> Purity. This could be an issue. If there are off types in the certified generation, many times it is multiplied in the subsequent.
> Noxious weeds. Few fields are noxious weed free. Some ore easily cleaned by the processors, few blow clean out the back of a combine. Others don't come clean from the seed by the processors. We have lots of problems with wild radish, some wild onion, and vetch.
> Other weeds. Some undesirable weed seeds are not noxious, but don't separate at all by the combine. Others come from other contaminating sources like hauling trucks or trailers, bins, or augers. I have had growers work hard to clean a field to certifiable purity standards through the use of chemicals and hand removal of off types or noxious weeds, only not to clean out harvest and handling equipment! Ryegrass is one example that comes to mind. It is one tough to control weed in a wheat field, and is easily spread by use of combine seed. I am sure that it may not be the problem in other parts of the country that is in the southeast, but it is an example of what I mean.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)