AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

out look for crops in the midwest
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 8/27/2006 23:33 (#39303 - in reply to #39252)
Subject: 2006 air tour

West Union, Illinois

A couple weeks ago I would have said we have as good a crop as we have ever had.  Over the last week or so I have come to realize it may not be as good as we expected.  SDS is really starting to show up.  Corn that looks great along the road is not so great out in the field.

The county S&WCD sponsors an air tour every year. I'm attaching some photos I took this afternoon of some of my fields. 

Top photo shows a couple of my fields and some neighbors. The dark shadow looking areas are just that, cloud shadows.  Note the drowned out areas to the right.  This is on well drained sand!  Looking to the left of center you see a couple corn field with brown streaks running at an angle across them.  That is sand streaks showing up.  A yield monitor would be very disappointed when it hits them.

Second photo (NAT photo 3) shows things I expected and something I didn't.  This is clay ground.  The area showing up in the middle of the field just in front of the wing is a white clay knob.  Sand is more forgiving.  A few wet spots show up as well.  What I was not expecting was the light strip down the middle of the corn field. We are at a loss to explain it and will be in that field tommorow to see if we can figure it out from the ground.  My initial thouight was the anhydrous applicator didn't get turned on, but I don't drive that straight.  Weather permitting we'll probably be in that field Monday.

Oh, to the left of the road you see a neighbor's bean field starting to show brown.  That is SDS showing up.  I saw it from the ground Friday.

The third photo (titled NAT photo 2) shows more sand streaks running across the bean field.  They will probably not yield anything in those streaks.  Lower right shows a sand streak in the corn.

Just for comparison I included a photo (MVC-762F.JPG) of the same area from last year.  The corn in the photo last year made around 75 bu/a   

Edited by Mike SE IL 8/28/2006 06:49

(NAT photo 1.JPG)

(NAT photo 3.JPG)

(NAT photo 2.JPG)

(MVC-762F.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments NAT photo 1.JPG (33KB - 199 downloads)
Attachments NAT photo 3.JPG (29KB - 191 downloads)
Attachments NAT photo 2.JPG (32KB - 208 downloads)
Attachments MVC-762F.JPG (40KB - 212 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)