AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

OK students, gather 'round (several photos)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 8/30/2006 13:49 (#39995)
Subject: OK students, gather 'round (several photos)

West Union, Illinois

In an earlier response to a question about the midwest crop I posted some photos including one showing a problem we spotted from the air we hadn't noticed on the ground (see NAT 3 photo on 2006 air tour below). I was asked to post my findings if we figured it out; 

We went out and stomped around the field this morning until we got an answer we were satisfied with.  It seems my Son-In-Law drives an anhydrous applicator a LOT straighter than I do.  He was putting on NH3 with a 30 ft applicator and I was planting witha 12/30 planter, so the strip was 12 rows wide.

After looking at the location I sem to recall he started with a less than full set of tanks, then got two new ones and went another40 acres or so.  Which is just about where this shows up.   It looks like he started north from the south end and started getting vapor from the tanks.  He was probably getting numbers that looked adequate, but didn't realize they weren't what he was needing.

Between the N from the previous crop and the partial rate he as getting there was enough N to get the corn tall enough you couldn't see it from the road. A side effect is there was not enough shading to give good weed control so the cockleburs went nuts.

Below is one of the photos from the air and a few photos from the field.

Edited by Mike SE IL 8/30/2006 13:59

(W 80 from South (Small).JPG)

(Nitrogen applied (WinCE).JPG)

(Nitrogen short rows 1 (WinCE).JPG)

(Nitrogen applied ears 1 (WinCE).JPG)

(Nitrogen short ears 2 (WinCE).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments W 80 from South (Small).JPG (26KB - 294 downloads)
Attachments Nitrogen applied (WinCE).JPG (27KB - 296 downloads)
Attachments Nitrogen short rows 1 (WinCE).JPG (21KB - 296 downloads)
Attachments Nitrogen applied ears 1 (WinCE).JPG (23KB - 266 downloads)
Attachments Nitrogen short ears 2 (WinCE).JPG (23KB - 289 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)