AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn/wheat rotation
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ed Winkle
Posted 10/5/2006 12:55 (#48926 - in reply to #48924)
Subject: Re: Corn/wheat rotation

Martinsville, Ohio
I didn't either, Tim. That was even counting mashing some vining beans down in the non sprayed plot.

I am talking about the third application of glyphosate over two applications already sprayed. The dots on the GPS map are pretty easy to pick out.

About the treatments:
I recommend every legume be inoculated. My grandpa taught me that and never found it to fail me.

Since the new inoculants came out in 94 I definitely recommend them. You won't always see a yield boost but these products are so good we see results over 90% of the time. That is good efficacy for any product.

I use America's Best inoculant out of Van Wert, Ohio. I believe any inoculant with lots of cells per unit and competitive strains will increase your yields. This trial was with humus in a drill box. Liquids are much easier to handle on bulk seed.

They have an extender now called Excalibre they say will last 90 days. With a good inoculant in it, that is a very easy way for your seed treater and seed company to deliver you preinoculated seed like we have in alfalfa. I will throw a little fresh inoculant in there myself and will test it next year to see the results. The only way I ever got too much inoculant on was to plug the device delivering or seeding the beans and no one wants that.

I used T-22 Biological fungicide, Dyansty, Trilex and some of the older fungicides. They all work good. We had 3 flare ups of pythium due to cold damp weather after planting April 27 and the fungicides protected the seed, reduced death which increased living population, improved plant health and resulted in higher yields. This was no-till. The foliar fungicides worked as well as all of the seed treatments combined including inoculants.

Of course I will be using them all but some give a higher return to investment than others.

Ed

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)