AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Notill bean questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ed Winkle
Posted 10/6/2006 12:37 (#49163 - in reply to #49141)
Subject: Re: Notill bean questions

Martinsville, Ohio
I would rather work with the stalks. Your planting and harvesting equipment has to work with the residue for optimal performance in my mind. We have the equipment today to do that.

I don't mind the original problem posted above and enjoy the never ending break down of the residue described.

It is building our soil tilth to near original (when the land was first farmed here 150-200 years ago)or even better performance. Our soil structure continues to improve as we monitor it with root digs and soil pits.

We have had over 10 inches of rain the past 2-3 weeks and you can here the water going down, we hope to be back on it Monday but we have drier air and plenty of air movement which really helps.

Find your most limiting factor first whether it is drainage, nutrient level, weed or other pest problems, address them and work down the list.

Paul, we were grinding our way through really good no-till beans at 2.9 MPH with a 30 foot head. That is normal here for a heavy crop. We can increase speed but you have to do a good job, especially if you are dealing with the extra residue.

Ed

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)