AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Diesel Fuel vs. 11 %
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

jakebird
Posted 10/9/2006 07:25 (#49834 - in reply to #49574)
Subject: RE: Diesel Fuel vs. 11 %

This year I went through 6500 gallons of b100. I burned 100% all summer in everything from 2 semi's to my early eighties combines and tractors and a rogator with few problems. As far as power is concerned, I burned b100 in a CIH 4494 pulling a 30ft CIH SDX air seeder and pulled the absolute snot outa the tractor. About a week ago i decided to stop using the b100 and began just putting pure #2 into my fuel tanks as it's supposed to get down to 21 degrees here on wednesday night. I've noticed no difference in power with this tractor. Still pulls that tractor to death, wish i had about 50 hp more.

I thoroughly enjoyed running the b100 this summer and into fall. It was always a conversation piece, as when i'd do custom seeding for a customer he would smell the (french fry) aroma coming from the exhaust and wonder what the heck i was burning.

I did have my share of issues with the fuel though. In any engine that i had never run a blend of (i have been running b20 the last 3 years in most of my engines) soy in i immediately had fuel filter problems. I blame that on the solvent properties built into the diesel, and the fact that most of my machinery has had build ups for over 20 years. The main issue with the fuel for me was the fact that it ate through any hose that was questionable. I replaced many rubber fuel lines from the injector returns on my 1660 combines, the main fuel tank bridge line between the two tanks on my 4494, and a fuel line on my sprayer. Steel lines didn't seem to have any issues. When we purchased the soydiesel it was 50 cents a gallon cheaper than regular so I feel it was well worth the troubles we have had. Prices now seem to be very near regular diesel and I plan on only running a 10-20 percent blend if prices stay that close.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)