AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Da*** Fire ants
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

WRnSWTN
Posted 10/10/2006 09:21 (#50118 - in reply to #49668)
Subject: RE: Da*** Fire ants

CG, I have had some modest success in my war with the fireants in eliminating their mounds around my ponds, hay fields and around the house. Depending upon how many acres you are dealing with it may or may not be practical or economically feasible. I have had the best immediate results with spraying or sprinkling Orthene WP powder on the fireant mounds. Spraying the Orthene WP mixed in water solution seemed to wipe the mound out the quickest but in some cases the mound would just pop up a few feet away. Sprinkling the Othene WP powder worked OK but the mounds would still pop up in another location near by. I have also had some very good but mixed results with AMDRO. AMDRO comes in gallon containers of chemically treated bait granuals. Sprinkle the granuals on and around the ant mound that the fireants take the ganuals inside the mound and poison the rest of the fireants inside........ the idea is that they will feed the granuals to the queen fireant and this is what will wipe out the fireant colony long term. On some fireant mounds the AMDRO granuals would disappear in a few days and the mound would be dead in a week or two. Other mounds would ignore the granuals. Cost wise, I think the Orthene WP is the cheapest but the pain in the butt of mixing it up in 3 gallon hand held sprayers and carrying the sprayer around to spot spray a mound whenever you come across one can be time consuming as well as frustrating. You might want to try experimenting with various insecticides to see what works best in your case. This is pretty much what the UT extension folks recommended trying when I took the Master Wildlifer Course last year. I live not very far from you and have the same problem. Good luck!............. you're gonna need it. ;O)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)